Kamloops Heritage Railway Park
Start: May 5, 2023
Term: 8 Week Term Position
Full Time: 35 Hours/weeks
Number of Positions: 2Position Summary:
The Kamloops Heritage Railway Park is hiring two Interpretive Guide/Park Assistant Summer Students to assist with the Parks visitor services, guided tours, school and youth programs, gift shop and concession, museum operations and administration, and special events during our busy summer season.
This is a Canada Summer Jobs position and candidates must be eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program. Key Responsibilities:
The Interpretive Guide Summer Students will be an integral part of the museum's summer operations including visitor services and guided tours, retail operations, administration, and special projects. Working closely with the General Manager and Program Coordinator, Guides will:
- Greet visitors, process museum admissions and retail sales.
- Lead tours through our exhibits and heritage rail cars
- Conduct opening and closing walk throughs of all facilities and display areas of the Park to identify maintenance issues and address housekeeping needs
- Assist with site and grounds maintenance, including mowing the lawn, watering plants and gardens
- Assist in communicating with the Kamloops Heritage Railway Society members on membership renewals,
- Undertaking research on exhibit themes
- Assisting in the development of a revised tour “script”
- Provide support to all members of the KHRPark leadership team, including handling enquiries and helping us deliver high quality customer service and programming and preserving our cultural heritage.
- Preparing daily balance sheets for gift shop and concession sales.
Students will benefit by learning new skills in customer service, use of a modern retail system, event planning, public speaking, procedures development and museum and business operations. Qualifications:
- The ideal candidate is a post-secondary student returning to their studies in September, with an interest in museums, Canadian and Kamloops history, education, tourism, marketing or communications.
- Strong computer skills, ideally with proficiency in Google Docs and Sheets. Experience in operating theSquare point-of-sale system is an asset.
- Excellent customer service skills; previous retail experience is an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated initiative, strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to work weekends and statutory holidays
- Positive attitude, maturity and flexibility.
All candidates must prove eligibility under the Canada Summer Jobs program criteria prior to the interview process. Applicants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations. Please note that international students are not eligible participants (including anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are also ineligible)
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter to the General Manager at email@example.com
with the subject line “Canada Summer Jobs Museum Assistant Application”.